Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer Solstice is a very Long Day


Wikepedia says:  The summer solstice occurs exactly when the Earth's semi-axis in a given hemisphere is most inclined towards the sun, at its maximum tilt of 23° 26'. Though the summer solstice is an instant in time, the term is also colloquially used like Midsummer to refer to the day on which it occurs. Except in the polar regions (where daylight is continuous for many months), the day on which the summer solstice occurs is the day of the year with the longest period of daylight. The summer solstice occurs in June in the Northern Hemisphere.

Ever since we moved to the new bee yard two years ago I grew more concerned as I fell more and more in love with that property--concerned we'd lose the location.

Spiderman would say his spider senses were tingling, giving him a warning that something was coming.  Something bad.  In my case my gut was telling me.  I just knew.  My pessimistic self says it happened because we had it too good.  The site was just too perfect.  My optimistic side says it would have happened anyway.  Somewhere in there is the truth I guess.

The problem is straightforward:  The city owns the land.  They're selling it.  We have to leave.  We have two months.

Lester, the apple farmer, has rented the land for years and years.  He's the one who welcomed us there.  Now he has to leave too.

They'll level the old farm house and the crumbling outbuildings.  At some point they'll probably bulldoze the 700+ apple trees too.  All I could think about is where will the Orioles, Warblers, Chickadees and Pheasants go?  I've never seen more birds than on this property.  It's a bird watcher's delight.

When Les told me I could feel my eyes watering up.  I had my veil in hand so I quickly put it on so he wouldn't see the tears.

"Are you crying?" he asked.
"Yes," I said.  "Sorry.  I'm a girl so I can't help but cry."
"I cried too," he said, "and I'm not a girl."  He tried to laugh.

It was a sad moment.  Two people who cherish the ground under their feet.  Now it felt like sifting sands.

He explained that he was trying to find an alternate location for me.  I realized he's like me.  Trying to give a solution along with the problem.  He didn't want to have to tell me but he had no choice.  The hives had to go.  He knew I loved it there.

I asked where he would go?  He's lived there a very long time.  He said he'd move downtown.  He'd be most happy being close to people.  Les is a real talker.  I nodded.  It made sense.

I couldn't wait for him to walk away so I could be alone to do what Oprah calls 'the ugly cry'.

The bees were coming and going, oblivious to the change that would come shortly yet my little world felt crushed.  Only a few days ago Dad and I had installed the swarm hive, our sixth.  I was still visiting the yard every few days, often just to hang out and relax, watch the bees and listen to the birds.

On my way home I stopped in at Mom and Dad's so I could let them know.  Dad didn't say a thing.  It's not like him to be quiet.

The property will be worth millions for some industrial company or investor so it's well beyond our wildest dreams to purchase it for ourselves.  Les thought the demolition could begin in a couple months.

21 June is the Summer Solstice, the longest day of daylight.  I agree.  It was a long day.

2 comments:

Tim E said...

this is so sad... how many bee yards do you have?

Bee Magic Chronicles for Kids said...

Hi Tim. Just the one bee yard. We're looking for another location that's close by.