Monday, December 28, 2009

Sweet Gifts!

Don't you just love family members who know us beekeepers really well? They understand our obsession with bees.

They listen to us for hours as we talk about our bees, or maybe they pretend to listen but at least they do it tactfully enough that we don't notice their eyes are about to roll up in their heads.
They've console us on the phone when we're crying over a mishap with the bees.

They pay attention while we list off all the things we think we should do to help our hives. We ultimately make the best decision we know but family help us get to that decision.

They love us and understand us.
And they know better than to ever say "they're just bees". Because they aren't. They're family too.

I've restrained myself from visiting the bees this week although I did drop by briefly last week. I really do need to bring home my plastic storage bin so that'll be my handy excuse for a visit next week.
I hope to visit mid winter as well when there's lots of snow on the ground, just to see how those entrance reducers are working and to get some winter photos.

Now to the precious gifts: The first photos are of a glass dish called a Honey Dish. They were produced by a US company called Indiana Glass.

Originally they were made in the 1900's and then the company reproduced them again in the 1970's. They came in 29 colours (aquamarine, amber, amethyst, pink, white, etc.) To see a little history about Indiana glass visit this link

They are wonderfully decorated to delight the bee lover. Bees circle the top, sides and even the bottom of the container. Bees, flowers and bee skeps are on the sides.
Best of all, these glass containers were originally used to house the square cut honeycombs. What a wonderful vessel to house the precious combs.


I couldn't resist slipping some honeycomb into mine.
They're sold on E-Bay or on various on-line shopping sites. They're usually called vintage - which would refer to the dishes produced in the 1970's.
Of course I just love it.
I was also given a hand puppet bee made by Folkmanis Puppets. The bees' legs are a six fingered glove. Although it's more bumble bee like in appearance it'd be useful to use in presentations with young children. It even has four wings made of silk.
I especially like the fact that it doesn't have a stinger sticking out of its butt. That always gives the impression that bees go around with their stingers out all the time which we know just isn't true.
Maybe I don't have my bees just outside my back door but that's okay. I've got bee gifts to play with now.

9 comments:

Seeds in the City. said...

Fantastic gifts!!!

That honey dish is jaw dropping gorgeous! Now I'm on ebay looking for one, ha! I have a good collection of carnival glass thanks to my Mom and Grandma, the honey jar would be a beautiful fit!

Bee Magic Chronicles for Kids said...

I thought other beekeepers would be interested in these dishes. They'e a bit of history too. There's about 5 of them on E-Bay at the moment. Prices seem to range from $10 to $50. I notice those priced cheaper have higher shipper rates so watch for that. I don't see any amber coloured ones at the moment but I'm sure there'll be some out there at some point. Here's a link to a lovely green coloured one: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320458812366&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Happy bidding!

PhilipH said...

Nice to read your descriptive post and to see the beautiful glass creations.

I wish you well - and your hive population - all the very best for 2010.

Phil

Lynn said...

The honey dish is beautiful. I may have to look for one myself. I, too, got lots of bee stuff for Christmas. I'm going to start raising chickens this year. Wonder what next Christmas will bring?:) Happy New Year to you!

Kat said...

That dish is gorgeous! And the hand puppet is to die for. My grands would love to play with that. They have all types of puppets, but not a bee.
It's nice when someone really takes the time to find something that is really YOU!

Anonymous said...

I have one of those bee puppets! My son calls it a "bubble-bee".

He loves it and at the same time he's a little scared of it.

Tom Bailey said...

I had to do a double take about the first two pictures and how they related to Bees the puppet is something that kids would enjoy.

erbabaricihasanhoca said...

DEAR BARBARA...
Happy New Year...

Seeds in the City. said...

got your note, I'm not bidding on any of the jars at the moment. :) Thanks for thinking of me though! I have a few on watch, may be looking for one as funds improve locally. ;)